Murga-Projects Forums

Full Version: So what IS going on with MurgaLua
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Just an update, as there hasn't been much activity lately.

MurgaLua is still alive ... And heading towards a 0.6 release, however, my house move hasn't proved to be all that smooth, and there are a few other big things going on with my life right now.

All good :-)

But it is all conspiring to take time away from murgaLua, however, there will be a new release at some point soonish, probably the largest and better tested one yet.

Many thanks

Cheers
JohnM
Just another update, as there hasn't been much activity lately.

I haven't done any coding in weeks. Been busy being distracted by the MLB post-season, winterizing the house, and harvesting and preseving my veggies...so far have several dozen quarts of miscellaneous pickled things, many pounds of canned and frozen tomatoes and greens, and a disappointing potato crop.

But anyway, I'm looking forward to the next release. I hope that the term "large" doesn't imply that murgaLua will continue to grow until its size, speed and resource use begins to suffer. The light and fast qualities are a huge plus over Tcl/Tk and other supposed light toolkits.
You don't have to worry, the number of built in features will be pretty frozen as of the next release, and I am against letting it grow in physical size. There are a couple of things like the sound API that will work only of the right libraries can be dynamically loaded.

Either way I would like to keep it small (smaller if possible).

However, right now I too am insanely busy with other things.

Nice to see DSL upgraded to 0.5.5 :-)

Cheers
JohnM

Quote:
Nice to see DSL upgraded to 0.5.5 :-)

There was a discussion concerning 0.5.5 in which Robert had noticed it running more slowly than previous versions on older hardware. It seems it (or at least part of it) was related to adding Xft to DSL and trying the Xft version of murgaLua. I have only about half of the latest DSL release downloaded, so I can't say for sure, but I understand he decided to continue with the non-xft version. DSL is, after all, designed to work as well as possible on the oldest machines possible. Although Xft makes a more attractive label in most cases (at least with the default fonts), it is noticeably slower even on fairly recent hardware. I even notice a slight difference on my pentium4/512mb machine.

The one thing Xft does not improve visually, though, are rotated labels. Try making an X label using @7+, for example, and it looks really crunchy. The non-xft version displays it properly. I suppose it could be a problem with my Xft library, though.

Hi all,
I just want to express my continued interest in this project - although I've run into some limitations when trying to do serious work using it (e.g., a callback for the help_view link event is missing), MurgaLua has a tremendous potential.
Additionally, it would be really cool if some attempts were done to achieve a good compatibility to the package collection of luaaio (http://luaaio.luaforge.net/). MurgaLua as the core runtime and all these packages as optional components - this would be a very powerful combination.
Best regards,
Gerald
So What is going on with murgaLua?
Hows life treating you John?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Oh and what about a phpBB update for murgaLua forums?
Saw it was updated for the linux folks, does it help keep the
spam out?
Hey,

0.6.0 is coming out this week ... One way or another :-)
0.6.1 TEST will come out next week ...

0.6.0 has a lot of FLTK fixes, the compiler and a lot upgrades.
0.6.1 has some of the API's and new functionality I am experimenting with.

I also have the ability to produce Mac builds now, so they'll all come out at the same time.

Cheers
John de Murga

JohnMurga Wrote:
0.6.0 is coming out this week ... One way or another :-)
0.6.1 TEST will come out next week ...

0.6.0 has a lot of FLTK fixes, the compiler and a lot upgrades.
0.6.1 has some of the API's and new functionality I am experimenting with.

Yay!
Great news. Can't wait to test it!

///Pablo

Yep this is good news.
Curious about the FLTK fixes, sometimes we are like "must be a FLTK problem"
and its all very much guess work in that regard.

New libraries? oh my!

Hey are you going to add Tobi's fluid converter?
It still needs some work, a few things it doesn't recognize,
but its just an amazing help all around.

iGame3D Wrote:
Yep this is good news.
Curious about the FLTK fixes, sometimes we are like "must be a FLTK problem"
and its all very much guess work in that regard.

I am suspecting you Mac users will be very happy as between my fixes and FLTK's it should be the most stable release yet (!) :-)

iGame3D Wrote:
New libraries? oh my!

That is mostly for the experimental release

iGame3D Wrote:
Hey are you going to add Tobi's fluid converter?
It still needs some work, a few things it doesn't recognize,
but its just an amazing help all around.

I'd like to, but I haven't asked him for permission yet, so I'll ask him and see what he says.

Anyway, I am hoping to post the binaries with release notess for all platforms here today (for preview testing), and then make the full release on Sunday.

Cheers
JohnM

Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's