Murga-Projects Forums

Full Version: Mac and MurgaLua
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pardon my ignorance. I've never used an Apple computer in my life. I have someone who needs a script to run on Mac OS X. Will murgalua run there? Are there any installation issues with libraries like there are on Linux?
It will run happily on a Mac, no additional requirements, which reminds me I should post the universal binary. Be right back.

Ok here you go, both the Mac Intel and Mac Universal Binary version are in this download, the rest is just standard MurgaLua 0.6.4 release. You'll find the programs in the bin folder.
That's fantastic. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if Python runs on Mac? Are there installation issues with it? What scripting languages are commonly used on Mac?
Python 2.5.1 comes preinstalled with Mac OS Tiger (10.4.x)
Not sure what comes with leopard.

Intro to open source scripting on Mac OS X

I'm really surprised Lua doesn't come with OS X yet. I figured by now it would.

I've added a couple of varieties of BASIC to my install as well.
You can also script the Mac with Applescript, check out Automator in the Applications folder.
Apple's latest ├╝ber dev tool is Dashcode for making
desktop widgets, it uses javascript and a wild UI for building them.
Here's a video tutorial
This one is more current

iGame3D Wrote:
I'm really surprised Lua doesn't come with OS X yet. I figured by now it would.

There was an Apple engineer at the first Lua workshop back in 2005. I can't remember all the details but essentially he said that Apple wouldn't look at Lua because the syntax was too weird and was a little annoyed when nobody expressed any interest in changing Lua's syntax. --- This from the people who brought us Applescript!

I agree. I have always found Apple Script to be odd and hard to use. It's a carry-over back from the Mac "Classic" operating system. Back when I bought my last non-OSX Mac it shipped with Apple Script examples that Apple wrote. They would not even run on the computer they were shipped with because the scripts were too old and unsupported by Apple. The nice thing about Apple Script is that it allows for easy control over some Apple applications. I have installed Lua on Mac OSX and it works well. It would be nice if it came pre-installed though. Even better would be to have murgaLua pre-installed Wink
Reference URL's