Murga-Projects Forums

Full Version: MurgaLua 0.6.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OT:

You keep saying "such old systems", when I'm running a DSL version released only a few months ago.

To be fair, DSL is "old" in that it has retained many older libraries, but the distro is being regularly updated with new features and applications (glibc is 2.3.2 afaik). Most other distros opt for "bigger and newer" when those two words are often not synonymous with "better". If DSL were to follow suit, it's primary goal of reviving old hardware would be lost. If I understand what John said, the issue is in the kernel version rather than libraries anyway. DSL uses an updated 2.4 kernel rather than suffer the bloat and the loss of older hardware support that comes with 2.6

It is frustrating sometimes, particularly when attempting to add new versions of many applications, but it serves an important purpose that is served by very few others. Too many devs put their focus mainly on "cutting edge" distros like Ubuntu, and even installing from source often fails on systems older than a year or two.

Keep in mind also that DSL is one of only a couple of distributions that provide the latest version of murgaLua (or any version, really) in its base, and it's still in the top 10 on distrowatch so apparently many people don't consider it a terribly old system. I've tried many popular and new distros over the last few years, and most of them are too flaky to trust. Once in a while I find something that is stable and fast, and DSL is one of those.

btw, even if it was 3 years old, I don't believe that's terribly old. I ran a Slackware system as my desktop for 4 years, and when upgrading it was only to see what was new. As it turned out I wish I had not "upgraded". The only reason I haven't gone back to the older version is because my installation disks are damaged.
Then again, that system also had a 2.4 kernel.
A new snapshot which reflects the current state of development can be found at :

http://www.murga-projects.com/files/

This now works with DSL ... Note : The MacOS binary hasn't been updated due to lack of time

Juergen Wrote:
I don't think it would be justified to remove such a feature because of troubles with such old systems (glibc 2.3.3 is from January 2005). Even if you remove threading support it is not guaranteed that it will run on 3+ year old systems. Unfortunately in this respect Linux isn't Windows, where ancient binaries still run (except Windows Vista). I still remember those days, when most distributions switched from libc5 to glibc2 and it was nearly impossible to run binaries on different distributions or even on newer or older releases of the same distribution. Then later there were changes in the loader, the C++ ABI, ....

Even if you remove the threading functionality you can't expect that murgaLua runs on a system pre glibc2.3 or (I'm not even sure if glibc2.3.[01] works).

so if you wan't to support such old systems (I guess LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 still won't do the trick on DSL) then it would make sense to install such an old system (maybe with qemu or virtualbox) and compile there a murgaLua_vintage release (Although there could be problems with fltk). I guess luathreads also works with linuxthreads.

murgaLua has always worked with DSL as it happens, and the purpose of the static build is to have something that works on as many different Linux systems as possible ... Including those over 3 years old ;-)

As it happens it is difficult to make something that works across different variants of the same version of glibc ... Which is a shame as far as I am concerned, but either way the static build was doing a pretty good job of that as demonstrated by the testing to took place around 0.6.6.

I believe the secret is to load whatever implementation of POSIX theads is available on the system, as opposed to specificing it at link time ... However to change the code to do this will be time consuming, although I might consider it for a 0.6.9 release.

Thanks for the IO tests ... I was interested to see if this helped the PIPE problems you mentioned earlier.

Cheers
JohnM

Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's