Murga-Projects Forums
murgaua - distro compatibility - Printable Version

+- Murga-Projects Forums (http://www.murga-projects.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Project Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: MurgaLua - General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: murgaua - distro compatibility (/showthread.php?tid=270)

murgaua - distro compatibility - TerryW - 01-28-2008 12:26 AM

Hi there,
I started looking at murgaLua around December with a view to learning to program in a windows type environment. I'd had little experience of programming in the past other than in Basic on a BBC B years ago and on my Psion Revo. I set about making a little banking program using a simple database to record transactions both debit and credit and which would display a month at a time in a window on my PC.
This went very well and after 'stealing' bits of code from various places - mostly John Murga's sqlTool.lua prog and bits from Mikshaw's progs, I had a working program which did just what I wanted. Brilliant!!
I did this using Puppy Linux 3.01 - a super little distro - on a laptop, and was very happy. So, I wondered about backing up my efforts on my main computer which uses Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.
I copied the murgaLua run-time to /usr/bin, as on my laptop, and the Bank.lua prog and the database.db file into my home directory. I checked the permissions on all the files and tried to run Bank.lua. It crashed!
I transfered sqlTool.lua and ran that and it told me my database.db file was an "unsupported file format".
I re-ran Bank.lua in Ubuntu 6.06 and made a new database file - test.db - and of course this was OK. Strangely, when I transfered test.db to my original Puppy Linux, it also worked fine!
This got me to thinking, how would it be with other distros, so, I dug out an old laptop which had several recent distros on it and did exactly the same for each one.
The result was that Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu 7.10, Suse 10.3, PCLinuxOS 2007, Mepis 7, and Mandriva 2008 all worked perfectly, my original database.db file opening happily on each one.
The two distros that failed were Debian Etch and Slackware 12. Both these wouldn't run the basic murgaLua, coming up with the same error :- "error while loading shared libraries:libsqlite3.so.0:cannot open shared object file:no such file or directory".
I imagine that I must have done something wrong, but what?
I haven't tried it with Microsoft Windows, about the only thing I use that for is to run Repton 1/2/3 and Xor games. I guess that dates me.

Anyone have any ideas?
Terry

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - jpjacobs - 01-28-2008 12:32 AM

TerryW Wrote:
The two distros that failed were Debian Etch and Slackware 12. Both these wouldn't run the basic murgaLua, coming up with the same error :- "error while loading shared libraries:libsqlite3.so.0:cannot open shared object file:no such file or directory".

The linux binaries aren't linked statically against libsqlite3. This means they need the library to be installed to work.
So i guess if you install libsqlite3 it should work anyway.

The reason you have troubles with the existing database is an issue between 2 versions of sqlite i guess (2 and 3). There may be a conversion utility around to convert version 2 db's to version 3 db's.

Greetz,

Jan-Pieter

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - TerryW - 01-28-2008 12:39 AM

That should of course be murgaLua - distro compatibility. Must have hit ctrl instead of shift.

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - TerryW - 01-28-2008 12:47 AM

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply Jan Pieter. I sort of assumed that everything needed would be in the run-time file. I'm afraid I'm not well up on Linux and how it works, I just like to use it. I'll look at Ubuntu 6.06 and see if I can find out which version is installed there.

Great! Thanks again
Terry

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - mikshaw - 01-28-2008 01:57 AM

Yeah, use of dynamic libraries is common. This often allows for easier library upgrades/patches, and reduces the size of your system and the need to include that code in applications. Unlike Windows, which has a fairly uniform collection of dynamic libraries, Linux distributions vary in what libraries are installed by default, so you will sometimes find that installing them yourself will be necessary.

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - TerryW - 01-28-2008 02:06 AM

Ubuntu 6.06 has libsqlite3 version 3.2.8
Ubuntu 7.04 has libsqlite3 version 3.3.13

Debian Etch had no libsqlite3 installed nor libstdc++5 installed. Installed both and murgaLua and my prog now work.
Slackware is taking a little longer!

Thanks to jpjacobs

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - TerryW - 01-29-2008 02:01 AM

Just for completeness, have downloaded slapt-get added extras to config file and downloaded sqlite3. Both murgaLua and my app now work fine. So that's 100%.

Thanks also to mikshaw not least for his Reference Tool.

One way or another I've learned quite a lot.

Terry

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - JohnMurga - 02-03-2008 08:03 AM

Hi,

I know this may be a bit late ... But could you try this binary on your other Linux platforms ?

It is a little more than just a static build, and I hope it'll work on any libc6+ system with X.

Do "save as" !

http://www.murga-projects.com/murgaLua/murgaLua

You'll have to do "chmod +x murgaLua" after downloading it.

Cheers
JohnM

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - TerryW - 02-05-2008 10:56 PM

Sorry John, I've only just seen your post.

I've just replaced the murgaLua run-time in /usr/bin on Ubuntu 6.06 - the only distro that didn't eventually work, and I can run my prog fine.
Just to cross check, I replaced /usr/bin/murgaLua with the previous version and ran your sqlTool.lua and it gave the error just as in my first post.
Replacing /usr/bin/murgaLua again with your new static build, resulted in sqlTool.lua being happy with my database file.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to compile a statically linked version. You've made a pensioner very happy! I will try it with Debian Etch and Slackware 12 but first I'll have to remove the bits I added to make them work.

Cheers
Terry

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - JohnMurga - 02-05-2008 11:27 PM

TerryW Wrote:
Thanks very much for taking the trouble to compile a statically linked version. You've made a pensioner very happy! I will try it with Debian Etch and Slackware 12 but first I'll have to remove the bits I added to make them work.

Thanks for trying it out ! :-)

The static version I compiled does not have Xft (ie. you'll have jagged edges in your fonts and stuff), in the next full build I'll be bundling the static Xft version with all other versions being in a separate archive (I'll still be building them at the same time).

I tried to create a version that worked on everything, and strangely enough had most problems with a few Ubuntu based systems I got to play with.... (with things like libstdc++, etc)...

This is so that you have a base you can use for compilation that works on the largest number of platforms.

Either way this static version works on everything I tried it on including Mepis 64Bit (which comes with a 32bit libc).

Cheers
JohnM

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - mikshaw - 02-06-2008 12:32 AM

I only thought of this thread *after* installing sqlite on Vector (5.1). Apart from that, the standard release seems to work fine in that particular distro. I have none others to test other than some from several years ago.

Some people would say that compatibility between distros is not important, but not so for the software developer.
Personally I don't think it will ever be possible without a dramatic change to distro development for a single Linux binary (other than the simplest apps) that "just works" for all the most popular distros.

On the other side of the coin, I've been plenty annoyed at some software developers who after years of creating a stable product useable on a given distro will make a minor change that makes the app completely useless. There are developers who put much too much value on the very latest libraries, forcing users into constant upgrading of things that aren't broken.

That's not to say I can even begin to understand the nuts and bolts of an operating system's code. It just seems to me that for such a solid and ever-improving OS, there sure are some illogical problems with it.

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - TerryW - 02-06-2008 01:19 AM

OK, reporting success!

Removed libsqlite3 and libstdc++5 from Debian Etch which I had added and new version of murgaLua runs OK. My prog had some problems with fonts but that's my problem (I imagine - it's only Debian which has shown this up).

Removed sqlite3 from Slackware 12 which I had added and new murgaLua works fine. My prog runs OK.

Also works on Mepis 7, Mandriva 2008, PCLinusOS 2007, Suse 10.3, Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu 7.10, Puppy 3.01 and Puppy 4 alpha6.

Brilliant John, Thanks.

Terry

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - asafp - 03-19-2008 11:21 AM

I tried the distro compatibility version referenced above (02-02-2008) on a Red Hat system that didn't have libstdc++.so.5. It worked fine.

Is there a more recent distro compatibility version available?

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - JohnMurga - 03-20-2008 07:48 AM

0.6.4 contains one ;-)

RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - asafp - 07-10-2009 08:44 AM

I tried the latest (I think) build of murgaLua on a Linux (CentOS). Had trouble with sqlite3 which wasn't there at all. I got that installed. Then had problem with libstdc++.so.5. I scrounged up one of those. Then ran into problem with libfontconfig.so.1. I have no idea what that is.

Then I remembered this thread and installed the compatibility version posted above
http://www.murga-projects.com/murgaLua/murgaLua
and that seems to work ok and says version 0.6.0.

Will the latest release have a compatibility version at some point? Where can I download the latest compatibility version?
-------------------------------------
Ok. Answered my own question.
/snapshot/bin/Linux/otherBuilds/non-Xft/murgaLua_full
is the ticket.

Hope this might be a helpful reminder to someone who has a failing memory like me.