Murga-Projects Forums
Current state and planned features, please read - UPDATED - Printable Version

+- Murga-Projects Forums (http://www.murga-projects.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Project Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: MurgaLua - General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Current state and planned features, please read - UPDATED (/showthread.php?tid=44)

Current state and planned features, please read - UPDATED - JohnMurga - 06-08-2007 09:34 PM

Hi all,

I had hoped to prepare a release for this week, however, there are a couple of things going on in my life. I have just taken a job in Zurich (Switzerland), and I am getting my stuff shipped over from the UK, US, and Spain - While getting used to my new country and of course my new job.

So please bare with me right now.

Anyway, this is the current state of things ...

Please reply with anything you think I may have missed and I'll update this list.

Things I done already :

• Extensive changes to the documentation.
  • Re-structured examples and created showcase.
  • Fixed some minor FLTK issues.
  • New murgaLua build test tool.
  • convertFluidToMurguaLua fixes based on forum feedback.
  • New function "murgaLua.getHostOsName()" returns one of "linux", "windows" or "macos"
  • New function "murgaLua.sleep(miliseconds)" (reliable system level sleep).
Issues to be fixed :

• PENDING - Problems with many of the constants.
  • DONE - Implementing some of the drawing functions (I need this).
Other :

• VOLUNTEER - Make sure MacOs build works well (popen).
  • PENDING - Forum changes :

General chat
    Cookbook and examples
    Bugs and feature requests

(Any suggestions?)
  • PENDING - Put Wiki or CMS online (have to do some testing).
  • PENDING - New web page with "links" section and other content.
Contencious issues :

• Porting (no new ports until 1.0 release)
  • Using murgaLua as a library (no)
  • No GL support (I did some bindings but it isn't portable enough).
Outstanding (low priority?)

• I want to write a really good example database app
  • Build issues on 64Bit (need to wait for my AMD64 machine to be shippied over).
Cheers
JohnM

RE: Current state and planned features, please read. - chrimo - 06-09-2007 12:19 AM

Hi John,

Sounds for me that you are very BUSY.

But what about some simple bugtracking cms system ?
TRAC (Wiki+BugTracker+svn-repository)

Keep it simple

Bye
Christian

RE: Current state and planned features, please read. - widged - 06-09-2007 04:31 AM

JohnMurga Wrote:
I have just taken a job in Zurich (Switzerland)

Congrats on the new job Smile

JohnMurga Wrote:
So please bear with me right now.

Smile

JohnMurga Wrote:
        General chat
        Cookbook and examples
        Bugs and feature requests

(Any suggestions?)

TRAC is the obvious option for bug tracking. But TRAC is quite weak as a community wiki (no ideally suited for writing cookbook and examples as formatting options are limited). Drupal (CMS) is very popular, with an extraordinary number of modules. But it can be a bit slow to use. Dokuwiki (wiki) is another very popular option. I am familiar with both and can easily set up a demo of these, with admin access to you to play and explore. Don't hesitate to contact me for more information on these (or others).

As I know you are familiar with Awk, a *very* lightweight wiki is awki (you can get it to look a lot better than on this information page).

A problem with wikis is that there is a cost of changing your mind and going for another one. The formatting syntax is always slightly different (though converters are not that difficult to write).

The wiki matrix offers ample information to guide you in your choice.

JohnMurga Wrote:
  • I want to write a really good example database app

I have a candidate. An app written in another language I would like to try and transfer to murgalua. Already relies on sqlite. That's a bookmarks manager that uses a delicious type of category tagging, but backed up by an ontology tree.

RE: Current state and planned features, please read. - JohnMurga - 06-11-2007 10:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback :-)

widged Wrote:
... slow to use. Dokuwiki (wiki) is another very popular option. I am familiar with both and can easily set up a demo of these, with admin access to you to play and explore. Don't hesitate to contact me for more information on these (or others).

I have experience with Dokuwiki  ... As a Wiki I liked it, but it isn't really what I'd want.

I had a test project with Exponent (http://www.exponentcms.org/) about a year ago ... And it worked fantastically, I am thinking I'll do some tests with that and them maybe transfer EVERYTHING (I wrote a program to export offline docs from exponent too).

And that way trusted users can contribute.

For raw issue tracking I actually like the idea of using the forum, as in reality it does work well for smaller projects ... But for that I have to change the forum layout and add the new categories. I do have a bug-tracker of choice, but I don't think it is warranted for something of this size (and I don't remember the name).

widged Wrote:
I have a candidate. An app written in another language I would like to try and transfer to murgalua. Already relies on sqlite. That's a bookmarks manager that uses a delicious type of category tagging, but backed up by an ontology tree.

Sounds interesting, I thinking of writing a generic DB browser app myself ... So people can browse and modify all these sqlite dabases that programs create nowadays :-)

Cheers
JohnM

RE: Current state and planned features, please read. - widged - 06-12-2007 07:45 AM

JohnMurga Wrote:
I had a test project with Exponent (http://www.exponentcms.org/) about a year ago ... And it worked fantastically, I am thinking I'll do some tests with that and them maybe transfer EVERYTHING (I wrote a program to export offline docs from exponent too).

Didn't know about exponent. Had a quick look. Interesting!

JohnMurga Wrote:
For raw issue tracking I actually like the idea of using the forum, as in reality it does work well for smaller projects

Agreed

JohnMurga Wrote:

widged Wrote:

Sounds interesting, I thinking of writing a generic DB browser app myself ... So people can browse and modify all these sqlite dabases that programs create nowadays :-)

An utility very much alike phpmyadmin would be cool (if this is what you have in mind).

In the list of requests, what about sound? fltk doesn't integrate it for now, I believe? Would it be possible to design a murgalua application wherein sounds would be played?

RE: Current state and planned features, please read. - JohnMurga - 06-12-2007 09:01 AM

widged Wrote:
An utility very much alike phpmyadmin would be cool (if this is what you have in mind).

Yeah, kinda :-)

widged Wrote:
In the list of requests, what about sound? fltk doesn't integrate it for now, I believe? Would it be possible to design a murgalua application wherein sounds would be played?

I did look at this briefly, but I didn't find a cross platform API that I liked enough to write a binding for it ...

Cheers
JohnM

RE: Current state and planned features, please read. - faughanvale - 06-17-2007 10:31 AM

[quote=JohnMurga]

[snip]
[*]New function "murgaLua.getHostOsName()" returns one of "linux", "windows" or "macos"
[*]New function "murgaLua.sleep(miliseconds)" (reliable system level sleep).

[snip]

Thinkpad 600 with puppylinux 108 thru 214 - I lurk.
murgaLua makes puppylinux useful and easy for my programming tasks.
Been using murgaLua since it became available.

my own extension modules work this way:
require"faughanvaleLua"
then, later:
faughanvaleLua.translate()
etc.

I can make good use of murgaLua.sleep(milliseconds), but I can't get it to work.

Is something missing? extension module?
I have tried:
require"murgaLua" or require"timeLua"
then:
murgaLua.sleep(2000)
etc. all from various locations.
I also found an EMPTY timeLua.lua file somewhere.

The results include:
/bin/murgaLua: ./ltt:153: attempt to call field 'sleep' (a nil value)

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks again for murgaLua,
Dan.

RE: Current state and planned features, please read. - mikshaw - 06-17-2007 10:45 AM

It's my understanding that this thread was created to let us know what is currently in development. Since this thread was made after the latest murgaLua version was released, I assume that murgaLua.sleep() is *not* available in released versions of murgaLua

RE: Current state and planned features, please read. - JohnMurga - 06-17-2007 11:49 AM

mikshaw Wrote:
It's my understanding that this thread was created to let us know what is currently in development. Since this thread was made after the latest murgaLua version was released, I assume that murgaLua.sleep() is *not* available in released versions of murgaLua

As always you are COMPLETELY correct :-)

Cheers
JohnM

RE: Current state and planned features, please read. - faughanvale - 06-17-2007 07:35 PM

JohnMurga Wrote:

mikshaw Wrote:

As always you are COMPLETELY correct :-)

Cheers
JohnM

I understand. murgaLua is a wonderful tool.
I am a very satisfied user.
Thanks for everything... : - )
Dan

RE: Current state and planned features, please read - UPDATED - JohnMurga - 06-27-2007 10:49 AM

Hi,

Currently I need a volunteer to do macOs-Intel build as I can do the other ones.

I would send the person in question a pre-release with the finished source on Sunday, and they'd build it (with popen support), run through my new test suite and return me the murgaLua and FLUID binaries ...

The one thing I haven't decided yet is whether to upgrade FLTK (to the latest 1.1.X build), and SqLite (to 3.4) ... I am thinking I may pass on this occasion.

There are also a couple of neat features that I might try to sneak in :-)

Cheers
JohnM

RE: Current state and planned features, please read - UPDATED - iGame3D - 06-27-2007 02:53 PM

Always on the ready for this. I am having a lot of fun, send me the
build when its ready.

What was that "lipo" stuff Tobi was talking about to make it PPC compatible on mac?

RE: Current state and planned features, please read - UPDATED - JohnMurga - 06-27-2007 04:50 PM

iGame3D Wrote:
What was that "lipo" stuff Tobi was talking about to make it PPC compatible on mac?

Dunno ... Can you tell me if you can build this on your Mac ?

LINK REMOVED

(Sneak peek) :-)

EDIT - I am looking at a couple of ways of getting basic audio support, OSS on Linux/Mac and WaveOut on Windows.

Cheers
JohnM

RE: Current state and planned features, please read - UPDATED - mikshaw - 06-27-2007 04:51 PM

hmmmm.....that looks like audio stuff =o)