News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
Linux Portability
asafp

Group: Registered
Linux Portability

I have a few questions/comments based on my first experience running murgalua on linux.

The first thing I encountered was an error because libstdc++.so.5 was not present. I didn't have root authority or even a gcc compiler. Fortunately, this was a debian system and I found a library on another machine that I could use. Would libstdc++ be compatible from one x86 linux to another? One thing I love about murgalua is that all the basics for windows/linux and even mac are included in one installation package! Could libstdc++ be included in the installation package? Keep in mind that this library is required to run murgalua and not optional like libsqlite.

Fortunately, I know about the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables. That kind of information is never included in linux installation instructions and believe me, that kind of detail in install instructions can be a real blessing if you are not a linux system administrator and don't even use linux very often.

02-08-2008 02:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mikshaw

RE: Linux Portability

libstdc++.so.5 is present in a lot of distros that lean toward legacy support, and in distros that try to make a compromise by including both libstdc++.so.5 and libstdc++.so.6. Some distros that push toward supporting the most recent developments while dropping support for anything "old" will have only libstdc++.so.6. But you can have both installed at the same time.

Quote:
Would libstdc++ be compatible from one x86 linux to another?

If it was compiled with a compatible c lib it might work. I've used several binaries that I've copied directly from one distibution to another.

02-08-2008 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
asafp

I did a google search on "download libstdc++.so.5" and got a bunch of stuff on rpm packages which wouldn't have done me much good. So, my point is that anything that could be done with murgalua packaging and documentation to assist someone who runs into this kind of problem would be sweet!

When running the coroutines.lua that John posted, I get an error on linux

lua: coroutines.lua:74: attempt to index global 'socket' (a nil value)

It runs fine on windows. Another program I have that does a simple http get without coroutines runs fine on both linux and windows.

02-08-2008 03:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
asafp

oops. Disregard previous about socket error. Ran lua instead of murgalua. oops.

02-08-2008 04:21 PM
TerryW

Hi asafp,
Have a look at the version of murgaLua provided by John Murga in the thread "murgaua - distro compatibility" about 5 below your entry. This seemed to work for me without having to add anything. See how it works for you.

02-09-2008 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
asafp

TerryW Wrote:
Hi asafp,
Have a look at the version of murgaLua provided by John Murga in the thread "murgaua - distro compatibility" about 5 below your entry. This seemed to work for me without having to add anything. See how it works for you.

I tried a different linux system and got error on libXft.so.2 and tried the "distro compatibility" version and got libXext.so.6 error. I have no idea what these are.

02-14-2008 03:17 AM
JohnMurga
Administrator

Group: Administrators

asafp Wrote:
I tried a different linux system and got error on libXft.so.2 and tried the "distro compatibility" version and got libXext.so.6 error. I have no idea what these are.

XFT is font smoothing ... And Xext is a pretty standard X extensions library (like double buffering).

I MAY be able to do a compatibility build without Xext, but may I ask what distro you tried it on ?

When I do the next build (this week), I'll try and do a new Linux compatibility build.

Cheers
JohnM

02-14-2008 11:51 PM
asafp

I am not sure what linux distro this is. How can I tell?

I do know it's a stripped down shell provided by a web hosting company.
Permissions and available commands are limited.

02-15-2008 02:40 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites