News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
Puppy Linux 4.08 x-server dies
TerryW

Group: Registered
Puppy Linux 4.08 x-server dies

Some time ago I wrote a little banking program using murgaLua and it works fine with Puppy Linux 3.01. It also seemed to work OK with version 4.0 and I think even up to version 4.06. It also works OK with Ubuntu 8.04.
However, since upgrading Puppy to version 4.08, inputting data (just typing into an input window) causes the x-server to die. Not necessarily after a return, but any character. It doesn't do this every time either but often enough to be really annoying.
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed a problem of this sort?
Of course it may be my programing and changes to Puppy have just brought this to light or it could be that Puppy 4.08 is using the 2.6.25.16 kernel or some other change that Barry has made to Puppy.
I'm currently using murgaLua 0.6.8.

Perhaps I should ask on the Puppy Forum, but it's only when I'm using murgaLua that it occurs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Terry

09-30-2008 09:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mikshaw

RE: Puppy Linux 4.08 x-server dies

I'm guessing it is probably something to do with the x server, but i just woke up, so give me a minute to remember why i bothered to reply before getting my coffee....

Did you have the same version of murgaLua in the earlier Puppy version? If so, I'd think even more seriously that it might be an issue with Puppy.

What I would do first is check the Xorg log. If I didn't see anything interesting there, I'd redirect all output from the window manager to a file (which I already do anyway), and check that out after a crash. If you do "exec mywindowmanager &>filename" from .xinitrc (assuming Puppy uses .xinitrc) it should pick up all messages from murgaLua as well as those from other apps that might be doing something wrong at the time.

This post was last modified: 09-30-2008 10:42 PM by mikshaw.

09-30-2008 10:32 PM
TerryW

mikshaw Wrote:
I'm guessing it is probably something to do with the x server, but i just woke up, so give me a minute to remember why i bothered to reply before getting my coffee....

Did you have the same version of murgaLua in the earlier Puppy version? If so, I'd think even more seriously that it might be an issue with Puppy.

What I would do first is check the Xorg log. If I didn't see anything interesting there, I'd redirect all output from the window manager to a file (which I already do anyway), and check that out after a crash. If you do "exec mywindowmanager &>filename" from .xinitrc (assuming Puppy uses .xinitrc) it should pick up all messages from murgaLua as well as those from other apps that might be doing something wrong at the time.

Thanks for your prompt reply mikshaw.

The version of murgaLua is the same in both cases.

The Xorg.0.log.old , which I think is the log from the last crash, differs from the current log only in as much as it shows this at the end :-

Backtrace:
0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x77) [0x80bfd57]
1: [0xffffe400]
2: X [0x80efcb8]
3: X [0x80efdd9]
4: X(xf86RecolorCursor+0x107) [0x80f5137]
5: X [0x8159f5b]
6: X(ProcRecolorCursor+0xdf) [0x808d28f]
7: X [0x8146aa7]
8: X(Dispatch+0x1ab) [0x8087ddb]
9: X(main+0x4a4) [0x8070234]
10: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0x12e) [0xb7d7920e]
11: X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x1e1) [0x806f591]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 0
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 1

I'm afraid this means nothing to me! I'll try your suggestion when I've worked out what it means. Puppy does indeed use .xinitrc - it's in the home directory.

Thanks mikshaw
Terry

09-30-2008 11:37 PM
JohnMurga
Administrator

Group: Administrators

I'll try this at home tonight ...

Cheers
JohnM

EDIT : PS : What version of the executable are you using ? Sounds like an Xft problem, did you try the non-xft ?

This post was last modified: 10-01-2008 11:10 PM by JohnMurga.

10-01-2008 11:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryW

JohnMurga Wrote:
I'll try this at home tonight ...

Cheers
JohnM

EDIT : PS : What version of the executable are you using ? Sounds like an Xft problem, did you try the non-xft ?

Sorry John, I've just seen your reply. The version of MurgaLua I'm using is 0.6.8.
I've tried to implement mikshaw's idea of sending the output to a file with "exec jwm &>xorglog" in .xinitrc, but although it produces a file, I've been unable to reproduce the crash of x-server. Strangely, as soon as I removed the extras from .xinitrc I was able to crash the x-server.
The input line is quite standard, pinched, I think, from your examples:-
CrAmount = fltk:Fl_Input(100, 125, 75, 25, "Amount:")

I've not tried the non-xft version, I see it in the other builds directory, I'll give it a whirl.

Terry

10-03-2008 06:53 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites