News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (11): « First < Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Next > Last »
[WIP] MurgaLua Reference Tool
JohnMurga
Administrator

Group: Administrators
RE: [WIP] MurgaLua Reference Tool

Ooops ...

Nope, that doesn't really work as the "\" is being escaped somewhere else ...

The simplest thing to do is replace all the "\" with "/" as they both work when opening files / etc ...

Code:
images = string.gsub(images, "\\", "/")
  io.popen(MURGALUA..[[ -e "images=']]..images..[['" ]]..tempfile)

This makes it work right now, but personally I would change the "sep" logic and only use "\" where you REALLY need it.

I am happy to go in and do that.

Cheers
JohnM

This post was last modified: 02-28-2008 09:32 PM by JohnMurga.

02-28-2008 09:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mikshaw

Group: Registered

Quote:
The simplest thing to do is replace all the "\" with "/" as they both work when opening files / etc
This makes it work right now, but personally I would change the "sep" logic and only use "\" where you REALLY need it.

0_0

I don't understand.....does Lua automatically convert the slash to a backslash in Windows?
And if so, in what situations would you still need the backslash?

You'd think this seemingly well-known issue would be mentioned in the Lua docs.

02-29-2008 01:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mikshaw

I've been looking at this unplugged old machine (400mhz if memory serves me) at my feet for the last couple of weeks. It technically belongs to someone else and I had originally installed Vector Linux on it for him (hoping to spread the linux virus), but knowing him I have serious doubts that he will ever bother to pick it up. So now I'm starting to think about sticking windows 98 or 2000 on it to use purely as a testing platform for murgalua.

Since that possibility has arisen, does anyone know if it's possible to emulate OSX in Windows on a machine that old? Maybe I can have the full spectrum of murga-supported platforms on which to test.

This post was last modified: 03-02-2008 12:05 PM by mikshaw.

03-02-2008 12:03 PM
JohnMurga
Administrator

Group: Administrators

Sorry, but ...

The process is illegal as it would involve getting hold of a copy of OSX which no possible unless you own a Mac. Secondly to do so would require SSE2 emulation, which (as far as I know), is only possible with VmWare on a SSE2 host machine.

But the Mac port is very similar to Linux one, the big issues are Linux/Mac -> Windows.

Cheers
JohnM

03-02-2008 10:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
iGame3D

Group: Moderators

mikshaw Wrote:
windows 98 or 2000 on it to use purely as a testing platform for murgalua.

does anyone know if it's possible to emulate OSX in Windows on a machine that old?

You could emulate MacOS 9.
Wanna try murgaLua without a command line?

I have been thinking about this all month.
Well ok since I found the forum, I said "wow mikshaw is a genius, maybe he can help with iGame3D!", and then read "linux" :-(
Then I seriously consider linux port, but have never even seen linux running in person.

If you are in the states, I could send you a 600Mhz Win XP laptop and a OS X 10.4 900Mhz iBook. The iBook however is still PPC, Tobi is still on PPC as well and my Daughter has a PPC mac mini. Which means we have to support that for at least another year or two. I think between us we can figure out how to get
murgaLua lipo'd for PPC and test the results.

The iBook is certainly fast enough for you to test some widgets in and say "neat!".

What do you think?

03-03-2008 07:41 AM
mikshaw

I got the old pc loaded with Win2000 and messed around with the quotes problem until it seems to work in both Windows and Linux (I assume OSX will have no trouble with it).
The solution was to use single quotes to concatenate the shell command in the main script, use double quotes for the -e string (windows shell requirement, apparently), and double brackets to enclose the directory path so it will just be seen by the shell as part of the -e string:

Code:
io.popen(MURGALUA..' -e "images=[['..images..']]" '..tempfile)

So I made a beta 3b release with only that change and a couple of minor additions. There's a new image/animation test, and a "What's New" page. After clicking around a bit, I think you're right that the interface still needs improvement.
http://www.murga-projects.com/forum/atta...php?aid=38

Quote:
If you are in the states, I could send you a 600Mhz Win XP laptop and a OS X 10.4 900Mhz iBook.

There's no way I could turn that down! I've bugged/begged some people I know to spead the word around that I'm willing to take old machines off their hands to refurbish and give away, or just to use as parts or testing machines, but since I live in the sticks there aren't many people who even have old computers.

I have seen OSX from a secondhand view, but never actually had an opportunity to use it. I've also not seen how iGame3D is built (I assume it's not pure lua), so it's likely that I wouldn't be able to do much in the way of coding. But I am (or technically *was*) a professional artist and animator, so I'm not limited to just testing and scripting.

Keep in mind, though, that if I got my hands on an XP laptop it would probably become at least a dual-boot machine pretty fast =o)

Quote:
You could emulate MacOS 9.
Wanna try murgaLua without a command line?

I thought murgaLua wouldn't run on OS9?

03-03-2008 08:27 AM
iGame3D

Group: Moderators

mikshaw Wrote:
I have seen OSX from a secondhand view, but never actually had an opportunity to use it.  

Oh you will like it.

mikshaw Wrote:
I've also not seen how iGame3D is built (I assume it's not pure lua), so it's likely that I wouldn't be able to do much in the way of coding.

Plenty to do in the way of murgaLua, keeping this reference compatible with iGame3D, and modding it for iGame3D reference...just for starters.

mikshaw Wrote:
But I am (or technically *was*) a professional artist and animator, so I'm not limited to just testing and scripting.

Ha no kidding, I totally took you for a systems admin somewhere.

mikshaw Wrote:
Keep in mind, though, that if I got my hands on an XP laptop it would probably become at least a dual-boot machine pretty fast =o)

Heh, this machine dual boots English/Chinese right now.

Quote:
I thought murgaLua wouldn't run on OS9?

I was joking. Tongue

Send an address to

bill at igame3d dot com

and I'll box these up.

This post was last modified: 03-03-2008 10:00 AM by iGame3D.

03-03-2008 09:59 AM
mikshaw

Thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing OSX in action...and to the ability to code and watch TV at the same time =o)

As stated in the "windows problems" thread, the potato drop demo won't work as-is in Windows. That will be fixed in the next release.

03-04-2008 07:08 AM
jpjacobs

there are maybe some things that could bee included in the options tab like:
* external viewer
* theme
* maybe keybindings (or at least a list)
Just some thoughts Smile

Jan-Pieter

03-06-2008 12:05 AM
mikshaw

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
* external viewer

This was included in the previous layout. I haven't incorporated it into this one yet mainly because I'm not sure how I'd handle running demos edited with the external editor. The demos now run as a separate process, so I'd need some way to keep track of the file that's being edited externally.

Quote:
* theme

That was put back in yesterday =o)

Quote:
* maybe keybindings (or at least a list)

It can be fully controlled with a keyboard now, but I need to do some work on it. I want to make sure that all hotkeys are global so you don't need to switch to the info tab first in order to view the readme, or to the docs tab to load one of the document pages. It should automatically switch to the appropriate tab when you press the key combo.

The idea of user-configured hotkeys had crossed my mind, but I don't have any definite plan to do that.

The next version will also include separate categories within the file list, which can be collapsed and expanded individually. I was really excited to be able to get that working, although it still needs some streamlining.

This post was last modified: 03-06-2008 03:30 AM by mikshaw.

03-06-2008 03:25 AM
Pages (11): « First < Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites