News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
Browser Interaction with URLs

Group: Registered
RE: Browser Interaction with URLs

I don't know about the "best" way, but I would recommend using os.execute() along with a user-defined variable. If the variable is nil, or is set incorrectly, inform the user that it needs to be changed. I've seen some applications attempt to automatically detect what browser the user will likely be using, and it seemed ridiculous to put that much time, effort, and bloat into something that will never be completely reliable. The most reasonable ones, in my opinion, simply use a common browser as the default and allow the user to change it easily, via enviroment variable or configuration file, for example.

I had thought about a similar thing a few days ago, using local paths, but never figured out how to get a specific piece of text hot. I guess you might be able to position a button over the appropriate part of the text, but I couldn't say how difficult that might be, particularly with varying font sizes/spacing.

There is the Fl_Help_View class, which displays full pages of HTML, but I'm guessing this would probably not apply to your situation. It might provide some hint to using URLs with other widgets, though.

There's also the possibility of breaking your text up into multiple (flat) buttons in a visual array, activating only the button(s) that are labeled with the hot text. This will likely produce unappealing breaks between sentence fragments, though, and is probably not a good solution.

There could be something that could be used in relation to drawing text, but that subject is over my head.

Maybe creating a new subclass of Fl_Widget including a specific focus box could be the answer. Again, this subject is beyond my abilities.

I know this is not much help, but may give some ideas about where to look for other possibile solutions.

07-17-2007 01:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
Browser Interaction with URLs - iGame3D - 07-16-2007, 08:35 PM
RE: Browser Interaction with URLs - mikshaw - 07-17-2007 01:13 AM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites