News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
MurgaLua's GPL implications
znarf

Group: Registered
MurgaLua's GPL implications

I was just wondering about the implications of that MurgaLua is licensed unter the conditions of the GPL.
It's clear what it means if you want to adjust, extend, or directly reuse MurgaLua's C++ code: Then your work has also adhere to the conditions of the GPL.
However, what about just using the MurgaLua runtime environment from my own Lua script? Do the "viral" characteristics of the GPL also apply then, implicating that any Lua script you want to distribute together with the MurgaLua runtime has to be licensed unter GPL as well?
I'm not concerned about the open source aspect, that's perfectly ok with me that I have to deliver MurgaLua's source code and that any licensee can see my code and even adjust it for their own purposes, it's more about the copyleft that allows any licensee to spread my work almost without any restriction, which would destroy at least some hypothetical business models.
In this case I'd say that MurgaLua's license is much too restrictive, especially compared to its base libraries such as Lua or SQLite.

Regards,
Gerald

P.S.: Now I did a little bit of web search on how Java (which is GPL as well) solves this issue: It uses the so-called GNU classpath clarification to make clear that just using the platform does not affect the licensing options for users.
See http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalA...s2_qa.html, question 2 and http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/license.html.
So I'd definitely recommend to add this exception to MurgaLua's licensing conditions.

This post was last modified: 07-29-2007 12:36 AM by znarf.

07-29-2007 12:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
MurgaLua's GPL implications - znarf - 07-29-2007 12:18 AM
RE: MurgaLua's GPL implications - mikshaw - 07-29-2007, 07:23 AM
RE: MurgaLua's GPL implications - znarf - 07-29-2007, 10:25 PM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites