News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
MurgaLua's GPL implications
mikshaw

Group: Registered
RE: MurgaLua's GPL implications

This is a misconception about the GPL that has been spread by both those who are unsure and simply concerned about their own licensing (yourself, I assume), and those who wish to present the GPL as something evil that "frees" anything that is remotely associated with it.

The requirement of the GPL that subsequent projects must also be released under the GPL applies only to those projects that directly use code from a GPL project. For example, if you were to make modifications to murgaLua and release it, it must remain under GPL. If you create a binary that statically links GPL libraries into itself or otherwise uses code from a GPL project, it must be GPL. But if you release a project that merely depends on another GPL project at runtime, it does not need to be GPL or even a GPL-compatible license.

07-29-2007 07:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
MurgaLua's GPL implications - znarf - 07-29-2007, 12:18 AM
RE: MurgaLua's GPL implications - mikshaw - 07-29-2007 07:23 AM
RE: MurgaLua's GPL implications - znarf - 07-29-2007, 10:25 PM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites