News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
So what IS going on with MurgaLua
mikshaw

Group: Registered
RE: So what IS going on with MurgaLua

Quote:
Nice to see DSL upgraded to 0.5.5 :-)

There was a discussion concerning 0.5.5 in which Robert had noticed it running more slowly than previous versions on older hardware. It seems it (or at least part of it) was related to adding Xft to DSL and trying the Xft version of murgaLua. I have only about half of the latest DSL release downloaded, so I can't say for sure, but I understand he decided to continue with the non-xft version. DSL is, after all, designed to work as well as possible on the oldest machines possible. Although Xft makes a more attractive label in most cases (at least with the default fonts), it is noticeably slower even on fairly recent hardware. I even notice a slight difference on my pentium4/512mb machine.

The one thing Xft does not improve visually, though, are rotated labels. Try making an X label using @7+, for example, and it looks really crunchy. The non-xft version displays it properly. I suppose it could be a problem with my Xft library, though.

10-12-2007 02:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
RE: So what IS going on with MurgaLua - mikshaw - 10-12-2007 02:15 AM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites