News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
testing presence of ML feature
mikshaw

Group: Registered
RE: testing presence of ML feature

Ok, let me try to explain this...third time's a charm =o)

When murgaLua 0.6-PRE-RELEASE was posted here a few weeks ago, its version string still said "0.5.5" rather than "0.6". Not long afterward, Mr. Murga announced in the "full release" thread that a final 0.6 release would not be made since he was already jumping toward new features for 0.6.5. The "UPDATED murgaLua build" thread states that the version numbers have been updated, but I've downloaded the newer file twice (once just now), and the version string still says "0.5.5".

So, apparently the only 0.6 version in circulation is the one with the faulty version string, and I know of at least one Linux distro that has already included it in the most recent versions of both of its flavors. What that means is that 0.6 is out there, whether its listed on the murgaLua front page or not.

The result is that there are many people who currently have 0.6, and might continue to keep it for a while. If they try to run a script that has 0.6 features and that includes a test for the "0.6" string, the test will fail. If the test is for "0.5.5", the test will pass but the script will break because it has features not available in 0.5.5.

Anyway, I wasn't saying that your string test isn't useable...it's the best thing possible as far as I can tell. My issue was that developers should be aware that they shouldn't use "0.6" as a test. They should either test for individual 0.6 features, or retain support for 0.5.5, or wait until 0.6.5 and use "0.6.5" as the minimum string.

This post was last modified: 02-08-2008 05:58 AM by mikshaw.

02-08-2008 05:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
testing presence of ML feature - mikshaw - 01-20-2008, 05:37 AM
RE: testing presence of ML feature - mikshaw - 02-08-2008 05:50 AM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites