News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
murgaua - distro compatibility
mikshaw

Group: Registered
RE: murgaua - distro compatibility

I only thought of this thread *after* installing sqlite on Vector (5.1). Apart from that, the standard release seems to work fine in that particular distro. I have none others to test other than some from several years ago.

Some people would say that compatibility between distros is not important, but not so for the software developer.
Personally I don't think it will ever be possible without a dramatic change to distro development for a single Linux binary (other than the simplest apps) that "just works" for all the most popular distros.

On the other side of the coin, I've been plenty annoyed at some software developers who after years of creating a stable product useable on a given distro will make a minor change that makes the app completely useless. There are developers who put much too much value on the very latest libraries, forcing users into constant upgrading of things that aren't broken.

That's not to say I can even begin to understand the nuts and bolts of an operating system's code. It just seems to me that for such a solid and ever-improving OS, there sure are some illogical problems with it.

02-06-2008 12:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
murgaua - distro compatibility - TerryW - 01-28-2008, 12:26 AM
RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - mikshaw - 02-06-2008 12:32 AM
RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - asafp - 03-19-2008, 11:21 AM
RE: murgaua - distro compatibility - asafp - 07-10-2009, 08:44 AM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites