News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
License
mikshaw

Group: Registered
RE: License

The purpose of GPL is simply to prevent the code from being stolen and abused for self-serving puposes. The fact that there are hundreds or thousands of lawyers hired for no reason other than to find loopholes in things such as the GPL is the reason it necessarily is filled with "legalese". The only reasons commercial businesses are afraid of GPL are 1) They want to have total control over the code, and 2) They are mislead by other commercial businesses that falsly claim the GPL "frees" everything it is associated with.

Quote:
Has anyone ever bought a Windows PC with any open source software pre-installed on it?

Of course not. Windows machines are installed with Windows and sometimes a small collection of trial software that is financially tied with Microsoft. Read a little about the practices of Microsoft and its affiliates over the last two decades and you may get an idea of how the commercial PC world works. It is almost entirely contrary to the open source world, but things are gradually changing in favor of free software.

02-23-2008 11:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
License - jpjacobs - 02-21-2008, 03:34 AM
RE: License - Juergen - 02-21-2008, 03:57 AM
RE: License - mikshaw - 02-21-2008, 05:14 AM
RE: License - JohnMurga - 02-21-2008, 09:49 AM
RE: License - Juergen - 02-22-2008, 10:25 AM
RE: License - asafp - 02-23-2008, 07:16 AM
RE: License - JohnMurga - 02-24-2008, 01:50 AM
RE: License - mikshaw - 02-23-2008 11:34 AM