News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
the future direction of murgaLua revisited
znarf

Group: Registered
the future direction of murgaLua revisited

Hi,

is it just me who is still seriously concerned about the implications of the DSL incident? Now a few weeks have passed, and I've noticed a significant decline in traffic at this forum. I still hope for some clarifying words by John on his further intentions and future direction regarding murgaLua. But for now I'm trapped within some uncanny doubts. Is the project still alive? Will there be some changes regarding the licensing of future versions?

The whole incident has left me with concerns about the sustainability of projects basically depending on the motivation of a single developer. For me, as an individual developer, I have to ask myself whether it is really wise to invest into such a platform by learning it and creating a certain codebase to be maintained later on, when the fragility of such a basis becomes very obvious, even although we can assume the best goodwill and dedication of the main developer.

I have to ask these questions now, because I'm in the process of deciding about the platform of my next project. I really would be saddened if I had to move on to a different platform like Portable Python, Adobe AIR, or even Java, because I still appreciate murgaLua as an unmatched combination of simple system scripting and text/XML processing, GUI with easy deployment and portability. I'd really happy to keep it.

Any clarifications (by John) or suggestions (by other formerly happy murgaLua users) would be warmly welcome.

All the best to all of you,
Gerald

07-10-2008 05:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
the future direction of murgaLua revisited - znarf - 07-10-2008 05:16 AM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites