News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
[WIP] MurgaLua Reference Tool
mikshaw

Group: Registered
RE: [WIP] MurgaLua Reference Tool

I was playing around with Vector Linux last night, and bumped into an application called gtk-demo. This application is virtually identical in its purpose, but the design of its interface is quite different. Gtk-demo is cleaner and simpler in both behavior and code, and I'm seriously considering a redesign. It would make the code much smaller and easier to follow, less prone to bugs, and provide a more friendly experience to the enduser. In fact, I'm quite certain that this will be a smart move.

The interface of gtk-demo is split into two sections: a selection browser on the left, and two tabs on the right. The tabs are "Info" (same as my "notes"), and "Source". When a widget name is selected in the browser, that Lua file and its associated text are loaded into the tabs. Double-clicking the widget name displays the widget in a new window rather than a nested window (which has given me more than a few headaches). This simple UI change would remove the need to mess with changing titlebar names, toggling menu items, exporting variables, limiting widget dimensions, watching out for clobbering or missed variables, and a number of other issues that I've had to pay close attention to. Most importantly the code for the individual widgets will not need to be tailored specifically for use in this package...any MurgaLua script that works on its own can simply be dropped into the data directory as-is.

This design won't be fully implemented, though. I'd much rather just have a button to launch the demo rather than deal with testing for single or double clicks. But it amazes me when I think about how much simpler it will be to manage the code with this design, and will be less annoying to the user with fewer clicks to do.

So, it will be a little while before Beta 3 is released, but it will likely be smaller and less buggy.

It still won't account for the arg issue, though. I will still need to know exactly where the data files are.

02-05-2008 03:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
[WIP] MurgaLua Reference Tool - mikshaw - 07-10-2007, 05:00 PM
RE: [WIP] MurgaLua Reference Tool - mikshaw - 02-05-2008 03:58 AM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites