News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
MurgaLua's GPL implications
JohnMurga
Administrator

Group: Administrators
RE: MurgaLua's GPL implications

I'll add the exception although I am not sure it is required, as this is not the first GPL'd scripting language out there ...

As it stands currently from my perspective you are allowed to distribute your scripts with the murgaLua binary(s) of your choice (even if you built it yourself), along with a link somewhere to where the user can get a copy of the source to built murgaLua themselves. However, if you make ANY modifications to the murgaLua runtime and distribute anything to do with these then you have to comply with the GPL.

BUT, as far as I am concerned the LUA scripts that are developed to run against the murgaLua runtime can have whatever license they want ... Restrictive or otherwise. Furthermore the new murgaLua compiler will make it possible to create executables with no script source visible (although it can be extracted), I also see these executables being re-distributed without restrictions.

As I said, as long as the murgaLua runtime is not modified in any way ...

If you do you have to contribute that change back to the world :-)

Cheers
JohnM

07-29-2007 02:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
MurgaLua's GPL implications - znarf - 07-29-2007, 12:18 AM
RE: MurgaLua's GPL implications - JohnMurga - 07-29-2007 02:40 AM
RE: MurgaLua's GPL implications - mikshaw - 07-29-2007, 07:23 AM
RE: MurgaLua's GPL implications - znarf - 07-29-2007, 10:25 PM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites