News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
[OSX] murgaLua.getHostOsName()
mikshaw

Group: Registered
RE: [OSX] murgaLua.getHostOsName()

uname doesn't work on Windows. My guess is that the function was made as simply as possible as a way to do nothing more than determine which supported platform you're running, so the script can be adjusted accordingly (such as setting an appropriate directory separator or deciding whether or not a particular external command can be run). In this situation it doesn't matter if it returns macos, osx, apple, or themostexpensivebsdevermade. As long as there is a difference between the suported platforms it's doing its job. Simplicity rules.

A POSIX system is one which adheres to an operating system standard based on Unix. BSD is Unix, and therefore POSIX. OSX is BSD, and therefore POSIX. Linux is also POSIX, but out of a conscious decision rather than inheritance. Windows is not POSIX.

08-29-2007 01:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
[OSX] murgaLua.getHostOsName() - chrimo - 08-29-2007, 08:00 AM
RE: [OSX] murgaLua.getHostOsName() - mikshaw - 08-29-2007 01:54 PM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites