News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
Undocumented feature for Windows users
JohnMurga
Administrator

Group: Administrators
Undocumented feature for Windows users

Hi,

Windows executables are a funny thing, and that's why Java has "java.exe" and "javaw.exe", or python has "python.exe" and "pythonw.exe".

Up to now murgaLua would have been the equivalent "murgaLuaw.exe", but it is now compiled as a console app, this means it'll always bring bring up that handy console window.

BUT

What if you don't want the console window ?

Then there is a handly little patcher I prepared that'll patch the one byte in the PE header that it takes to get rid of the console in Windows.

It's creatively called "no console patch.exe" and can be found in the along with the windows murgaLua executable.

Enjoy

Cheers
JohnM

04-04-2007 02:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
iGame3D

Group: Moderators
RE: Undocumented feature for Windows users

Norton Antivirus for Windows, up to whatever the latest is as of January 2014, has been throwing fits at this patch exe for years.

Norton's reasoning is "I don't know what it is, nobody has ever used this program, you should probably not touch it, i'm deleting it!"

I've never tried this app so it I don't miss it when it gets deleted.
Thought you should know about that.

01-06-2014 10:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mikshaw

Group: Registered

Something i've thought about from time to time is the all-in-one mode of packaging murgaLua...can't say i've ever understood the logic behind that. In just about any other project with multiple binary versions you find those versions made available as separate downloads. This not only provides a smaller download for users (most users won't be needing more than one version), but also gives the developer a better idea of what the user base is, and how (if at all) it changes. It would also make it more convenient for things like this...In a windows package you could include both full binaries (or even as separate windows packages), and no troubles with dumb antivirus programs. Along a similar line, if there are ever 64-bit versions made they wouldn't suddenly double the size of the murgaLua package if they were made available separately.

01-08-2014 04:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JohnMurga
Administrator

Group: Administrators

I will correct that in the next release ...

Which is coming at some point.

Apologies for the unreplied mails.

01-09-2014 01:42 PM
iGame3D

Group: Moderators

JohnMurga Wrote:
I will correct that in the next release ...

Which is coming at some point.

Apologies for the unreplied mails.

So very happy to hear from you John!
Happy New Year!

01-11-2014 04:50 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites