News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Group: Registered
RE: License

JohnMurga Wrote:
Juergen - Feel free to propose the wording you consider necessary ...

Note the compiler notice that was bundled with the last release.

I haven't had time to write something down, but I rethought it a little and came to the conclusion, that it would make sense to have a binary distribution license for the officially released binaries, so that they could be freely distributed.
Since they are also statically compiled, it is only possible to call internal symbols through the public Lua API.

It would make sense to have a license that allows the redistribution of those binaries under the condition, that they are unmodified and that a link to the murgaLua homepage is included. Also the use of the Lua API and all functions that are accessible through the Lua API from scripts and binary modules are not affected by any conditions of the GPL license.

Only modified binaries would then fall under the provisions of the GPL. Although it would still make sense to have a exception for section 3, like allowing the distribution of a zipped patch with the binary or something similar.

02-22-2008 10:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
License - jpjacobs - 02-21-2008, 03:34 AM
RE: License - Juergen - 02-21-2008, 03:57 AM
RE: License - mikshaw - 02-21-2008, 05:14 AM
RE: License - JohnMurga - 02-21-2008, 09:49 AM
RE: License - Juergen - 02-22-2008 10:25 AM
RE: License - asafp - 02-23-2008, 07:16 AM
RE: License - JohnMurga - 02-24-2008, 01:50 AM
RE: License - mikshaw - 02-23-2008, 11:34 AM