News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
License
JohnMurga
Administrator

Group: Administrators
RE: License

asafp Wrote:
The ability to freely distribute murgalua with very limited restrictions would be a great boon to the project. In my opinion, the open source world has shot itself in the foot with legalese in the GPL that scares the living daylights out of many commercial concerns who don't want to touch the GPL or any other open source software with a ten foot pole.

That kind of FUD disturbs me ...

MurgaLua makes use of code that is under the GPL and other licenses, and as Juergen suggested I can (and will), make things easier for the end user by ensuring all the source and licenses for everything contained in murgaLua is available at my web-site and setting out clear terms of use.

Then you build whatever you want, in any way you want on top of murgaLua, and just make sure you have a clear reference somewhere back to the murgaLua site where those interested can find all the source and licenses to murgaLua itself.

There are no restrictions to your project unless you use the compiler ...

I have no desire or power to change the licenses for the components I use, so I have to make sure I comply with them on my end.

So all this is fine unless you chose to modify, re-compile and distribute murgaLua. I you distribute, then it is your responsibility to share what you did with everyone so that they may benefit from your work as you did from the work of countless others.

If have read so much crap from people fear mongering about the GPL that I have no time for it, specially as none of the many commercial concerns I have worked with or for have had any problems of concerns with this... Some of which have large legal and compliance teams looking after every detail of their software usage.

And as far as the software installed on the last couple of PCs I bought ... It was mostly adware, nagware or cut-down versions of real software. So no, there wasn't anything really useful there :-)

Cheers
John de Murga

This post was last modified: 02-24-2008 01:52 AM by JohnMurga.

02-24-2008 01:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
License - jpjacobs - 02-21-2008, 03:34 AM
RE: License - Juergen - 02-21-2008, 03:57 AM
RE: License - mikshaw - 02-21-2008, 05:14 AM
RE: License - JohnMurga - 02-21-2008, 09:49 AM
RE: License - Juergen - 02-22-2008, 10:25 AM
RE: License - asafp - 02-23-2008, 07:16 AM
RE: License - JohnMurga - 02-24-2008 01:50 AM
RE: License - mikshaw - 02-23-2008, 11:34 AM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend