News : The level of daily SPAM has reached insane proportions, all registrations are now manual. I ask you to send me an e-mail (john (at) murga (dot) org), to confirm that you want me to create an account for you.

Post Reply  Post Thread 
Future plans ...
Juergen

Group: Registered
RE: Future plans ...

JohnMurga Wrote:
Maybe some of the mem, io and event stuff may be interesting ... But I want to shy away from providing functionality that is too complex of troublesome ... Threads for instance, they are cool, but will prove VERY problematic when used with FLTK and other things, so I rather leave them out.

Actually I don't think it makes much sense to do multi-threaded fltk programming. But being able to spawn other threads for async io an co. would be a real plus. I think it would be not such a big problem if it is clearly documented what is possible and what not. Also the threading API could reflect this. Maybe it would also be possible to have an API where the threads use a different Lua states, which don't show the fltk functions. Maybe a rings/thread combination. It would be really cool to have multiple treads that could handle network and file io independently from the main flkt thread, especially since synchronous I/O multiplexing is currently non existent in murgaLua. Although with alien on Linux this shouldn't be a problem any more ;-)

JohnMurga Wrote:
Better memory/buffer handling is on the list.

The immutable string as buffer was not the brightest idea of the Lua designers. This is one thing where it becomes really clear that Lua was mainly designed as embedded scripting language.
The sys.handle and io functions from luasys would be a really cool thing.
I really miss the simple "while fd:read(buffer, buffersize) > 0 do .. end" loops.

JohnMurga Wrote:

Juergen Wrote:
I also still can't add anything to the main fltk event loop (Fl.add_idle() and co. are missing).

Let me know what other functions you need are missing.

I hope that I tomorrow more time to look into this. But it is mainly add_idle() and co. Oddly remove_idle() is already available.

JohnMurga Wrote:
That would be nice for quite a few things, but currently it would require me to profoundly change things, although I'll have a think about how I'd go about doing that ... Without making things too complex.

While I have my doubts that it is (performance wise) a good idea to route some of the virtual functions (like draw()) through Lua code, I think it would be really cool to have something like that:

Code:
copy_class(Fl_XY, My_New_XY_Class)
function My_new_XY_Class:resize() ....... end
my_widget=My_new_XY_Class()

This would of course only work for some selected virtual functions. But there aren't that much that are really necessary to manipulate.
BTW.: I'm really missing a real table class and the labels that are positioned on the box and not above or below. The current fltk labels really suck big time.

JohnMurga Wrote:
The dynamic binaries in the "otherBuilds" should have readline enabled ... At least, they did when I last tested.

You are right. I haven't looked into that directory, since I have at least on system, where I can't use the dynamic build.

JohnMurga Wrote:
So get any requests you may have in now ;-)

I doubt it would be hard to come up with a ton of suggestions ;-)
The ex API has also some functionality that would greatly improve murgaLua (like os.pipe, os.setenv, os.environ() and os.spawn. But as I said, with alien support it shouldn't be that hard to get this functionality anyhow ;-)

Juergen

03-27-2008 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Messages In This Thread
Future plans ... - JohnMurga - 03-24-2008, 07:58 AM
RE: Future plans ... - Juergen - 03-24-2008, 08:39 AM
RE: Future plans ... - asafp - 03-24-2008, 08:39 AM
RE: Future plans ... - znarf - 03-24-2008, 08:59 AM
RE: Future plans ... - mikshaw - 03-24-2008, 12:05 PM
RE: Future plans ... - JohnMurga - 03-25-2008, 10:47 PM
RE: Future plans ... - mikshaw - 03-26-2008, 01:07 AM